The thermal spray process has been used at the plant since 1992 and has been developed ever since due to increasing number of parts that need that kind of technology. WZL-4 also has a certified laboratory that can test quality of layers with a modern control and measurement equipment.
In order to ensure the highest quality of production, we fulfill AS9100 and NADCAP standards.
History of Plasma Spray workshop
Our experience in coatings dates back to the beginning of the nineties of the twentieth century, when prototype solutions utilized in MRO processes (maintenance, repairs and overhaul) of aircraft engines for Polish Armed Forces were introduced. As an independent unit Plasma Spray Department has existed since 2009. Since 2010, WZL-4 S.A. has participated in the production process of the GE90 and GEnX-2B PIP – nozzle guide vanes to low pressure turbine of engines powering Boeing 777, 747 and 787.
11 person staff including:
- 2 Metcut certified laboratory specialists,
- 4 certified plasma spray system operators,
- 2 quality engineers (after DSQR training),
- process engineer.
- NADCAP Certificate (coatings),
- AS 9100 Quality System.
Typical production capacity:
- up to 60 vanes of GE90-115B per 8 hour shift (depending on the vane size),
- currently WZL-4 S.A. has production capability of 2 shifts per day with possibility of 3 shifts per day,
- possibility of increasing production.
Our offer is directed not only to the aerospace industry, but also to the metallurgical, energy, machinery, automotive and military sector.
We are prepared to restore engine components through the application of various kinds of coatings with atmospheric plasma spray. WZL-4 is also capable of complex mechanical processing of applied coatings.
- cooperation with Avio Polska (Avio S.p.A.),
- more than 20 000 parts coated,
- military anti-wear, diffusion and abradable coatings for Polish Air Force.
- Sulzer Metco Multicoat APS thermal spray system including:
- atmospheric plasma spray gun,
- 6 axis IRB-4600 ABB manipulator,
- 2 axis rotating table,
- 2000 x 2000 x 2000 mm working area.
- Sulzer Metco Multicoat APS with a controller,
- hand grit blasting machine,
- production floor,
- up to 8 masking stands,
- “FOD clean area”,
- profilometer Mitutoyo,
- 2 unmasking stands.
- Coordinate Measuring Machine – maximum part dimensions: 500 x 700 x 500 mm,
- ultrasonic bath with 5 separate baths – maximum bath dimensions: 940 x 740 x 570 mm.
Coating Evaluation Laboratory
Staff, facilities and capabilities:
- fully equipped laboratory with air conditioning,
- two GE Metcut CCL certified laboratory employees,
- special laboratory equipment for coating evaluation,
- participation in GE Metcut CCL ‘Round Robin’ sample exchange program,
- preparation and evaluation of thermal spray coating samples,
- coating research and development in metallography,
- experience within commercial and military aviation applications of special coatings,
- continuous investments in: laboratory equipment and human skills.
- two certificates from GE Metcut CCL laboratory,
- laboratory procedures approved by CCL (GE Specification S-459 and Exhibit 5 certificate),
- AS 9100 Quality System,
- NADCAP certificate (coatings).
- precision cutting,
- vacuum mounting,
- curing samples,
- precision grinding and polishing,
- microscope evaluation,
- superficial Rockwell hardness testing,
- tensile test stand.